Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Shanghai food adventures continue!

I should start by clarifying that the "snack" I mentioned in my last food post is hard to describe in words, so I'll have to get pictures of it being made and post them when I get to Hong Kong. (On a side note, sorry I can't publish your comments, my access to Blogger's tools is limited here, but I'll be getting to them in HK)

I tried several other flavours of chips! Can you imagine mango? Blueberry? Rock taco (I'm not even sure how rock music and tacos work together as a flavour title)? Well, I tried them. The mango and blueberry flavours were surprisingly as salty as they were sweet, very strange flavours for chips. They do actually taste like the flavour title...the mango tasted a bit like the lime chips, and the blueberry tasted a bit like the kiwi chips...I guess there's a limited number of tweaks you can make to fruit flavoured chips? Dorito's "rock taco" flavoured chips are a bit harder to describe though...the best way I could put it is salty beef? I'm not entirely sure hahaha.

After snapping some pictures of the Bund and the Oriental Pearl TV Tower at night, I decided to finally try Pizza Hut here in Shanghai. It was my most expensive meal to date hahaha (but pretty much on par with Canadian prices). The Pizza Hut restaurants here are considered nice middle-class restaurants, and the decor definitely reflects it (very modern and stylish, not like any Pizza Hut I've been to in Toronto). I decided to try the Teriyaki pizza, and waxberry juice. This was an interesting meal haha. I had no idea what waxberry was, so I decided to give it a shot. It tasted like weak, sweet raspberry juice. After a quick Wiki search, turns out waxberry is actually a fruit better known as Chinese Bayberry, and since it was a juice, I can't really comment on how the actual fruit tastes (I haven't seen it in the supermarket either). Now the pizza was definitely a taste experience, but surprisingly not very bold in flavour (maybe I was expecting too much?). Teriyaki sauce (instead of tomato sauce), topped with a little cheese, mushrooms, green and red peppers, onions, dried seaweed, teriyaki chicken, and bonito flakes...so you can see why I was expecting some stronger flavours. But it was an interesting combination nonetheless. The pizzas they serve are definitely very different from the ones in Toronto (obviously catering to different tastes), so I may have to go back to try another pizza. (Today, I accidentally stumbled upon a Domino's near my school, so I think I may have to see what they have to offer too).

UPDATE:

I treated myself to some sweets after visit to the World Expo exhibition centre. I had a blueberry slush drink and to eat, frozen coconut and mango cubes with blueberry jelly and watermelon balls. Very tasty!


Rock taco flavoured Doritos.


Mango flavoured chips.


Blueberry flavoured chips.


My first Pizza Hut pizza, with the waxberry juice in the background. Looks funky no? (especially with the curling bonito flakes)

No comments:

Post a Comment