Saturday, August 22, 2009

Greetings from Hong Kong!

I'm now in Hong Kong! I landed about 3 PM local time, but I didn't get to my grandma's place until about 4:30PM, so I pretty much lost the whole day. Yup, staying with my grandma! She has a very nice place too - in the Causeway Bay area. If you've ever been to HK or somewhat know the areas, then you'll know it's an awesome view, especially since her apartment has a view of the harbour! Yes, I'm very lucky haha! And because I'm the first born son of her first born son (it's an old Chinese tradition to expect the 1st born grandson to do quite a bit - most families don't care about it anymore because of China's one child policy), she's obviously very happy to see me, and despite my best efforts to refuse, she will try to spoil me haha.

It was only a 2 hour flight, but it seems like a very long day today (doesn't it always though whenever you need to take the plane?). I woke up at 6:45 in the morning so that I could catch a 8:30 taxi to Pudong Airport...for a 12:25 PM flight... I know, seems a bit early, but I was expecting lots of traffic, based on my ride from the airport to the school on my first night and on Shanghai's notoriously bad traffic. It was so strange, almost an entirely smooth ride! And then I expected long lines at the airport too, because HK is considered an international destination in China. Nope! So even having to clear immigration (in China you need to pass through arriving and leaving), I got to the gate by 9:45ish...to think I could have instead slept another hour (which I needed)... But I love flying on Cathay Pacific - they served lunch...yes, on a 2 hour flight...Air Canada what? (haha)

I'm not sure if I'll be able to upload any pics for the next few days - I know, I'm disappointed too - but her computer is quite old, so I need to transfer my pics to a DVD at a shop first, and her computer is slow, so I'm not sure how many pics I'll be able to put up! I'll try my best though! (I'm now able to publish comments though, and I replied to them.)

UPDATE:

At Pudong Airport, heading to HK.


I got there quite early, there was basically no one around.


I got a little bored haha. All those dots on my leg are old mosquito bites I got in Shanghai...so many damn mosquitoes. The 2nd photo is of an earwig that crawled out from underneath my boot while I waited for departure. It probably hitched a ride on my boot all the way from SISU.


My plane to HK.


A shot of the Kowloon side at night from my grandma's place. Like I said, the view is great.


My grandma cleaned out my aunt's room so I could have a place to sleep. I don't mind the size, I find it cozy!


The view from my grandma's the next morning. The 2nd photo is of the convention centre.


You'll find taxi line-ups all over HK.


The Causeway Bay shopping area near my grandma's house. So many giant advertisements...and so many people! The 3rd shot is just outside SOGO (a large shopping mall).

No comments:

Post a Comment