Thursday, April 29, 2010

My date with Lady Liberty: Part I

I couldn't visit NYC without visiting the Statue of Liberty right? So the next day, I woke up bright and early and was out first thing in the morning, determined to not be turned away by a "sold out" sign. And I was finally successful, arriving at the ticket booth before 9 am.

For the third time this week, on the path from Rector Place subway station to Battery Park, passing by Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel.


Inside Castle Clinton National Monument (formerly Castle Garden) after buying my ferry and pedestal ticket. I wanted to buy a crown ticket, but they were sold out all the way into February! I honestly had no clue the crown tickets were so limited and pre-booking was absolutely necessary - something to keep in mind next time I go to NYC.


Finally aboard the ferry, with views of the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island in the distance (2nd photo) and the Castle Clinton National Monument (3rd photo; the fort on the left side). It took forever to get on, first waiting to line to go through security check, then going through security check as stringent as airport security check (9/11 really ruined everything for everybody), and then lining up to get onto the ferry.


Some views along the ferry ride of the southern tip of Manhattan (1st and 3rd photos), the US Coast Guard (2nd photo), Ellis Island (4th photo), and of course, approaching the Statue of Liberty! It was such a nice day too which made for awesome photos, way better than the first time I got to see the statue.


Me with the Statue of Liberty and Manhattan!


Almost at Liberty Island.


The old ferry boat? Hahaha.


The view from the dock.


Finally on the island!


Say what you will about the US, one thing they're very good at is inspiring patriotism.


Info board.


A view of the back of the statue.


Panoramic view of Jersey City, Ellis Island, Manhattan, and Brooklyn from Liberty Island!


Posing with Manhattan.

Now for more waiting... To get to the pedestal, I had to join yet another long, sllooowwwww line to get to yet another security screening that was even more stringent that airport screening (and much slower than at the airport). Honestly, I know how important an icon the statue is to the US, but going through another security check on the island seemed completely redundant since the only way for any tourist to get to the island would be via the one ferry, which does the same screening beforehand. What could possible change on the ferry ride? But anyway, after getting through the security check point, I finally on my way to get up to the pedestal.

The big door at the entrance into the pedestal.


The previous torch, now on display. I didn't know that the torch had gone through so many revisions since the statue was first put up.


To get to the top of the pedestal, I had to go through the Statue of Liberty museum first. A copy of the face of the statue at the entrance.


The plaque that used to be on display outside on the statue.


Showing the history of designing the statue.


Replicas of the ear and foot.


Custom supporting beams needed for the statue's frame.


Showing the statue's construction and insides.


The plaque for the pedestal that used to be on display outside.


More history about the statue's construction.


Summarizing the construction stages.


Marking the completion.


The roles the statue has played.


Looking down along the stairs inside pedestal. Of course with my luck, the elevator was down, so I had to walk up all the flights of stairs to get to the top of the pedestal.


Another panoramic view, this time from the top of of the pedestal. (I don't know why Picasa isn't displaying the uploaded full size of the photo. Download it from Picasa to get the full view where all the details can be seen!)


The view down below!


Posing with Manhattan again.


Looking up at Lady Liberty from the top of the pedestal.


New York Harbour busy at work.


Brooklyn Bridge from the top of the pedestal.


They set up windows along the ceiling for views inside the statue, including the winding staircase those with crown tickets need to climb top get to the crown (2nd photo).


A look up at the supporting beams inside the pedestal as I made my way back down.


Looking out from the lower platform.


The view of the statue from the lower platform.


I was shocked to see the NYPD were doing K9 dog tests that day at the statue?!


The view of the statue from all 4 corners of the bottom star-shaped platform.


The Statue of Liberty really is something.


This shot was a lot harder to take than it might look, because I was shooting blindly, having to guess where to put the lens so I wouldn't cut my face off or the top of the statue.


I don't know why, but I like this photo.


The run-down dock facing Manhattan.


Me with Lady Liberty from the ground level.


One more close-up.


Next stop: Ellis Island.


Waiting for the next ferry to come.


I was so confused when I saw this - wasn't it a little too late to be migrating south and a little too early to be migrating back north?


A seagull actually attacked an innocent bystander's head!


On board the ferry (I was one of the first on), looking down upon the huge crowd waiting to board.


One more look at the statue's back as the ferry departed for Ellis Island...

No comments:

Post a Comment