Saturday, April 24, 2010

Great start, awful finish...

It's funny how much earlier I can wake up when the bed is a lot less comfy and just barely hit me hahaha. At least I was finally able to start the day with a decent breakfast, thanks to the free bagels (most likely "day olds"), free fruit (quite ripe apples, oranges, and bananas), and free coffee and OJ (instant mix variety, closer to Tang) included with price! It was so nice to be eating fruit again haha. While researching hostels for NYC, I found out that most, if not all, hostels in NYC offer free breakfast items (items vary between hostels) as part of the stay...strange all previous hostels I stayed at didn't offer anything like this...I guess it pays to backpack in the West?

There was free wifi at the hostel too (though it was an inconsistent connection) so I got a chance to do some quick research to figure out where I wanted to go today. I decided I'd visit parts of Brooklyn, and the first stop, walking the Brooklyn Bridge from Manhattan to get into Brooklyn! The weather was perfect too, a good change of pace from the previous days - finally the sun shining brightly in the clear skies. A brisk morning walk in the cold can't be too bad right?

The surrounding area after getting off at City Hall station, which I assume are mainly government buildings, and a view of nearby Brooklyn Bridge (3rd photo).


Beginning my walk across Brooklyn Bridge.


Some views along the beginning of the walk, including more views of the surrounding area, along the walkway (8th photo), and Manhattan Bridge (9th photo).


Approaching the first tower.


Commemorating the bridge's construction and engineering feat (it was the world's longest suspension bridge for a period).


Views of the traffic below the walkway (wasn't too busy, it was still pretty early), and Pier 17 (2nd photo).


A close-up of the arches.


Looking past Pier 17.


Another look at Manhattan Bridge.


Seemed to be more cars coming in from Brooklyn.


So many wires!


The coveted shot.


And me in the coveted shot hahaha.


From the perspective of one of the large cables.


Looking into Manhattan.


It's a popular photo.


Looking into Brooklyn.


Closer views into Manhattan.


A police helicopter passing by.


On a clear day, the Statue of Liberty is visible from the bridge.


Another look along one of the large cables.


Getting closer to Brooklyn.


Looking back.


Some photos taken at the second tower.


Leaving the second tower behind.


Another angle of the Manhattan Bridge.


A look at DUMBO (Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass).


Finally!


How sweet is it supposed to be?

There were many tourists walking the bridge to begin with, but at the Brooklyn end, the path split in 2, with one leading into DUMBO and the other farther into Brooklyn. All the tourists ahead of me chose the DUMBO path, and for some reason, I decided to go the longer path into Brooklyn...questionable decision since it seemed really quiet here and I was just going into the political/judicial centre of downtown Brooklyn (so probably not as much to see as the path leading into DUMBO)...there's probably a reason why no other tourists took this path. But then again I would've missed out on the things I saw by choosing the longer path.

A bunch of road barriers were decorated with artwork about bees...


At Cadman Plaza Park, next to the Brooklyn end of the bridge.


Wandering around Brooklyn Heights looking for the Clark St. station.

My next stop was deeper into Brooklyn: Grand Army Plaza.

At Grand Army Plaza. That's the Brooklyn Public Library in the third photo. Surprisingly, I was the only tourist there the entire time I was there, and one of a handful of pedestrians in the area...probably had something to do with how cold it was.


I'm assuming it was meant to be a Christmas tree? Otherwise it was the most randomly placed evergreen tree.


A statue situated at the centre of the plaza.


More statues of American war figures.


It was almost noon at this point, and I really needed to pee hahaha. So I left the plaza looking for a place, and walked into a Subway thinking there would be public restrooms there, but there wasn't! I ended up having lunch there anyway hahaha. This is a shot of the area I passed through. I later found out that "Christie's Jamaican Patties" was apparently a pretty popular place for patties; too bad I didn't go in because I didn't know if it was open since all the windows had fogged up.

Despite being unsuccessful in finding a place to go, I hopped on the Q train and rode it all the way to the end, next destination: Coney Island!

Inside the Q train; this one used the new subway cars that the New York MTA upgraded too. They're so clean and bright! Check out the cool and informative destination board! Very useful; instead of just showing a subway map which tourists would find harder to navigate on such a small scale, the board digitally updates the upcoming stops so you know exactly where the train is going (especially since I couldn't hear the conductors over the PA system half the time). Last stop: Coney Island.


Mounds of garbage on the platform at a stop...not very sanitary...


I was trying to get a shot of the buildings, not the guy standing there hahaha.


Some views along the subway ride (the route eventually transitioned to all above ground) - noticeably much more residential. I'm surprised with how decent the photos came out, considering how dirty the subway windows were.


End of the line. I finally found a public restroom, after exiting the station and asking the booth operator...it was back inside the station! Good thing I had the 7 day unlimited ride pass hahaha! Seriously, as I'm sure it's quite obvious by now based on how many different spots I hit each day that I took full advantage of the unlimited pass - well worth the price.


A really interesting and eye-catching wall mural just outside the station's entrance.


Outside Nathan's Famous, across the street from the station. Too bad it was closed, I would've loved to try a hot dog!


Outside the Cony Island subway station. When I turned around to look at the station, I suddenly felt like I was in GTA IV hahaha!!! I felt like I was Niko stepping out into Firefly Island at the beginning of the game. I know it sounds absurd, but if know me, then you how much I loved GTA IV and then understand why this image came into my head here. For those that don't know, GTA IV is a video game set in a fictional city heavily based on NYC and Firefly Island is the area in the game based on Coney Island, where the protagonist Niko starts off the game. I'll expand more in a later post about the importance of GTA IV to this trip haha.


Some views down the street.


Maybe I'll have to come back on July 4th? Hahaha.


Looking into Steeplechase Park (and a view of Astroland Amusement Park in the background of the 2nd photo)...completely abandoned (it hasn't been open for years).


At the Coney Island Boardwalk, with views of Steeplechase Park and the Coney Island Beach. It was almost desolate save for a handful of locals here and there - I couldn't spot any other tourists, which is understandable considering how cold it was out here. That's the Parachute Jump tower in the 5th photo.


The stretch of boardwalk that leads out into the Atlantic Ocean - completely devoid of people.


I'm sure the playgrounds are more popular in the summer.


Nothing like a good solitary walk along the shore for some quiet meditate.


Well that's good to know (in case it's not clearly visible, the sign warns about consuming the eels and fish caught in New York's waters...like that really needed to be said haha)!


Taking some time to relax and enjoy the great view.


They were hopping the rocks! I tried doing the same later on but quickly bailed on that plan - my shoes had absolutely no grip on the rocks.


Some views along the boardwalk.


The view at the end of the boardwalk. It looks like I was out on a boat in the first 2 photos, doesn't it?


Coney Island Beach. There was so much debris in the sand (I tried to show a close-up in the last photo)...I wonder if they clean up the beach before summer, otherwise it'd be pretty painful to walk around barefoot.


Back on the boardwalk, which I found out had these really interesting trash cans, each painted in a unique design!


The food stalls and venues lining the boardwalk, unfortunately all closed up for the winter.


Looking into the non-operational Astroland Amusement Park, with the famous Wonder Wheel in clear view.


Another interesting trash can.


Awesome mural on the wall of the New York Aquarium!


The Cyclone roller coaster, also park of Astroland Amusement Park.


Watching the subway trains come and go.


The wall of glass tiles inside the Coney Island station had some interesting decorations.


Back on a train to Manhattan.

This is where it hit me: the all-to-familiar warm/flushed feeling leaving me drained and tired. My initial plan was to actually transit onto another line while still in Brooklyn to go up to Queens, but ended up riding it all the way back to Manhattan when I was forced to close my eyes to prevent my head from throbbing. It was probably a combination of being constantly out in the cold damp air, exposing myself to areas of high winds for extended periods of time, possibly straining my body with all the walking, poor nutrition, the dense population of Manhattan, and returning to a dorm room setting that caused me to get sick. Not wanting to waste any time, I decided I should at least head back to the hostel to take a nap and then see if I could still visit Queens.

Looking down E 7th St. at Cooper Square; the hostel was further down the road. I always passed this area to and from the subway.


Village Inn Hostel. I realized I forgot to take a photo of it the day before. See? Unless one knew of the hostel ahead of time or read the small posting on the front door, it looked like any another regular residential building, which I felt only enhanced the entire NY experience.

It was late-afternoon by now but I had no trouble crawling into bed for a nap, and was surprised how easy it actually was for me to fall asleep. Plus, the fact I had the entire room to myself for now sure helped. I ended up sleeping well into the evening, waking up slightly hot - I knew for sure I was sick. Obviously I still had to eat, and I actually mustered up enough energy to get changed and head back out into the cold. I actually managed a pretty decent meal; I picked up a custom salad at the Ray's Pizza around the corner, and then went for some much-needed warm hearty chicken soup at a Soupman (a soup specialty chain in NY) I had noticed earlier by the subway. With a nutritious dinner finally in me, I went right back to catch some more sleep - I knew the only shot I had at a quick recovery was plenty of sleep. Another good thing about this hostel: plenty of Brita filtered water available. And despite the inconsiderate roommates (seriously, what kind of decent person carries on a loud phone conversation in a room where it's plainly obvious that some people are trying to get some extra sleep?), I managed to get some decent rest. A day that had started off as a pleasant, sunny walk along Brooklyn Bridge was cut short by the dreadful symptoms of the flu.

No comments:

Post a Comment