Saturday, April 17, 2010

January 1, Part II: Times Square!

Even though I was in Times Square the night before, I didn't really get a chance to explore the area since I was forced to stand in one spot the entire night. I really just sucked in all the bright lights and sights and sounds of the main NYC tourist hub - even better than Tokyo (to be honest I don't think Tokyo could compare)! The air was bone-chilling cold, and most locals say it's one giant tourist trap, but I still enjoyed every minute of it.

Heading down from the north end of Times Square.


Stardust Diner, known for its singing servers (all Broadway hopefuls).


So many restaurants...


Not even at the heart of Times Square yet, and there was still so much to see, including a shaggy Santa Claus playing the guitar (4th photo) and a guy selling "Obama condoms" (5th photo)....no, I didn't buy one hahaha.


I stopped inside the Hershey's store because it looked so interesting from the outside. It was packed (probably all tourists), most likely because they had all sorts of flavours I had never before in other stores! I was very tempted at buying a few things, but my budget got the better of me haha.


The neighbouring m&m's store.


I loved the big billboards!


Some New Yorkers will do anything to make money: earlier in the day, I gave a guy some change on Broadway who approached me and (probably) made up a story about him and his wife sleeping on the streets on New Year's Eve (might as well give him some change instead of having him badger me down the street); and the guys dressed up in cartoon characters (obviously not officially sanctioned) were taking pictures with tourists for money, and the guy in the Mickey Mouse costume even walked up to me for some change just for taking the photos I took of them, so I threw in a few pennies into his money bag hahaha (seriously, a money bag?).


Like I said before, I honestly could not have imagined that I would be here at the beginning of my trip. I loved the bright lights! I think it's safe to say I let my camera run wild haha.


Leftovers from the previous night.


So many tourists...


More bright lights - awesome! I actually stopped in at the Walgreens (7th photo) to grab a drink - the first of many Vitaminwaters (I had to get my nutrients somehow if all I was eating was pizza and other junk right? hahaha).


The photo needs no description; when you think of NYC, this is one of the images that comes to mind (well at least for me haha).


Inside the Walgreens - giant I (heart) NY mugs...at a whopping $35!


Some more views as I looped back around and headed north through Times Square.


Grabbing an overpriced BLT for dinner at the Majestic Delicatessen Cafe...I would've went somewhere else, but I was so hungry at this point.


A cupcake shop! I really wanted to take a look inside, but I knew I would be tempted to buy something if I did hahaha.


Taxis pack 7th Ave. I wonder who would even bother taking a taxi here, it'd definitely be faster to walk.


Everything in NYC is self-proclaimed "world's best" or "world famous," but I didn't know any better (having not previously read any reviews), so when I passed by Lindy's and say they had "world famous cheesecake," I decided to give it a try. I could not believe the price (well, considering where I was, I really should have expected it) - over $9 USD for one slice of plain New York-style cheesecake! I've done a little research now and Lindy's is well-known for its cheesecake and was at least once considered the most famous cheesecake in the US. It definitely was everything you'd expect from New York-style cheesecake: very thick and creamy. I will admit it was pretty decent cheesecake, but I'm not sure what all the hype about it was; I actually found it a tad too flaky (almost spongy) and surprisingly a little bland! I definitely took my time enjoying every overpriced bit (hahaha), but I've honestly had much better New York-style cheesecake elsewhere; my mom's cheesecake is much smoother and richer in taste!


Heading back towards the hotel.


I figured it was too early to call it a night yet, so I headed to Rockefeller Plaza to check out the giant Christmas tree all lit up! There were so many tourists here too, for obvious reasons - that tree really is something. I loved watching the skaters - even though I couldn't see their faces, they all looked so happy skating around underneath the giant tree!


I don't remember why I headed back to the Times Square area (I think it was to look for a liquor store to buy some champagne since I didn't have any the night before), but I love this one photo I took - it reminds me of one of the souvenir drawings of Times Square that's sold on the side of the streets.


I came back empty handed (the stores were closed for Jan. 1), so I called it a night. This is a shot of the awesome filtered water machines they had in the hotel; they provide new water bottles too! I think I've already made it clear just how much I loved staying at this hotel hahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment