Sunday, January 24, 2010

Hong Kong: Part III

It was still hot and humid in Hong Kong after I returned from my interview in Indianapolis, but it surprisingly wasn't too muggy or foggy. I didn't go exploring much this time - shopping is so central to Hong Kong that if you don't have anything to buy, your options of things to do become limited. Plus, I spent most of my time trying to plan ahead for New Zealand and do some research of what do to since I had no idea what to see or where to go when I got there. And unfortunately, I didn't get much done - there was just too much information to sort through and I didn't feel like committing to any plans yet since there was so much to do. Plus, I was planning on travelling around with some other travellers from Couch Surfing, but nothing was confirmed. I spent most of my time with family this time - my uncle working in Macau finally found some time in his busy schedule to come visit for lunch (he's a very busy man), and my aunt and uncle living in San Francisco had come to visit my grandma (my grandma's apartment actually got a little crowded with 5 of us in there hahaha). It was nice to spend time with family I hadn't seen in a very long time.

Kowloon from my grandma's apartment - surprisingly quite a clear view.


The view from a pedestrian overpass outside my grandma's apartment.


My uncle took me to a Wednesday race night at the Happy Valley race course, and as you can tell, packed with people - local and expats alike. My uncle was telling me the majority of expats treat it like a night out and don't really go to gamble (on the level similar to going to a club), and it was quite true, the majority were dressed in clubbing clothes. The many beer tents say it all about the atmosphere of the public area (compared to the members section I was in; 1st photo).

No comments:

Post a Comment