Thursday, September 3, 2009

It gets lonely here in Tokyo...

In all honesty, at all the "tourist" the destinations I have visited so far, I am always the only tourist there, or one of several (I can usually count the number of tourists, including myself, on one hand). So you can see how the feeling of loneliness can set in. I'm not one for big tourist crowds where you need to wait in line forever, and while I enjoyed traveling on my own so far (like in Shanghai), here in Tokyo it's almost like a feeling of isolation because there's never anyone else around. It's happened so often I can't even count the number of times over the past 3 days here I've been walking the streets suggested by the tourist guides for "walks around Tokyo", often only to be the only person (counting locals) there. How could I be walking alone so often in a city with so many people?!

Today, I first made my way to Odaiba, where I wandered through another suggested walk and wandered the streets for a near 3 hours under cloudy skies. Then I made my way to Ebisu, where my main trip was to the Beer Museum, and then back to Roppongi to see the Tokyo Tower (though I didn't go up, no money anymore for this kind of stuff).

Along the Odaiba beach area. Similar to the Waterfront (kind of). That's the Rainbow Bridge in the background.


I've always wanted to visit the Statue of Liberty...now I have (well a miniature version anyway).


Along the walking path. That gold thing is supposed to be a statue of the liberty flame?!? I don't see it haha. But you can tell how cloudy it is!


Outside Palette Town, yet another mall.


Mega Web, an entire facility showcasing Toyota's products.


Back on the walking path. See? Empty!


I accidentally stumbled upon a little "village" area completely dedicated to catering to weddings.


The building is known as Tokyo Big Event...where they hold big fairs and the like.


At Yebisu Garden Place. Very high-class place.


At the Yebisu Beer Museum. The beer tasting selection was my first non-essential expenditure...how sad haha. The 2nd picture is of the ads from the 90s.


At Atago Shrine. A very high climb (surprising given the urbanized Roppongi area). It was closed when I got there.


I ate my dinner (by myself obviously) on the bench right outside the Tokyo Tower...all that cost over $10 CDN...expensive place. I sat in front of the crepe shop. It was a long walk to the tower by the route I took.


When you're on a budget, you only get to take photos outside haha. Do I look tired? Because I was.


Some shots of Roppongi at night...it really does come alive in the dark.

Well hopefully the remaining few days here will get better! I plan to visit the Tsukiji fish market tomorrow morning, so I'm bound to see lots of other tourists (hopefully), and that means I also need to get to bed soon. More later!


Shots from my trip to the Tsukiji fish market. I can't believe I woke up at 4:30 AM just to see that place. In my opinion, I don't see what all the build-up is about. But there was lots of fish. It was kind of interesting I guess, but not worth the early morning wake-up. I actually watched a worker hack apart a giant tuna inside the fish market - unfortunately, he didn't along photos. The last 2 shots are of the outer market area, where the fish can end up (of many other destinations) - the final shot is of locals standing and eating noodles as breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment