Saturday, July 25, 2009

I guess I might be updating more often than I thought...

Yup, another update! Turns out it's not too out of the way to get here, it's close to the supermarket I'm currently living out of because the Chinese seem to avoid eating vegetable and fruits (is that why most of them are short?). Plus, it costs only $10 RMB (Chinese currency) for 3 hours of use...that's under $2 CDN!...China again puts us to shame ahahah.

Went to the visit Nanjing Road today, one of Shanghai's most popular shopping districts and a main tourist attraction. Took lots of pics, but I can't post them! And after walking around for 4 hours straight, I decided to treat myself to a treat at the Haagen-Dasz store/restaurant...that's right, a store/restaurant dedicated just to Haagen-Dasz ice cream! Obviously pricey (by China's standards) but well worth it. I forgot to note what the dessert I had was called, but I'll be sure to post a pic of it when I get to HK. Basically was 2 scoops and a bunch of other treats, $12 CDN.

Having taken the subway twice now, it's very easy to say it puts the TTC to shame. Almost all their stations have glass barriers at the platforms, all the trains are clean and well-ventilated (even when everyone is packed in), the ticket system is a efficient and easy to use, the signs are actually clear(!), and trips don't cost more than a dollar and change CDN!

The sun finally came out too, but it's not relatively too hot yet, so it's been my best day here. It's a shame that my room faces where the sun rises in the morning though, I'm pretty much waking up with the sunrise...meaning I've been up at basically 5:30-6AM ever since I got here. But I guess it's better that way, early bird catches the worm?

UPDATE:

A few of my shots from my first time (of several) to Nanjing Road East.


Me (obviously) in Nanjing Road East.


Even in the bustling, modernized shopping street of Nanjing Road East, there are still old Chinese men gathered in alleyways playing cards.


Subway in Shanghai!?! I was definitely surprised to see it. I think I saw two other locations elsewhere in Shanghai later on. I even ate at one in the basement of the Shanghai Financial Centre.


At the west end of Nanjing Road East, approaching People's Square. I thought the lanterns lined up looked pretty cool haha.


Samsung building in front of People's Park, where I would later go to do karaoke!


On my way to Nanjing Road West, past People's Park. The area here is super high-class, as you can tell from the Ferrari and Maserati dealerships.


Some building along the way (I didn't know what it was) but it looked very classy from outside.


My first (of several) visits of the leisure street beside Nanjing Road West.


On the same street, where my Shanghai friend took me to eat "BBQ street meat". Super long line-up at this place since it's very popular (because it was featured on a popular Chinese show).


My stop at Haagen-Dasz back at Nanjing Road East. It was great. Apple slices presented like a fan on fresh whipped cream, a scoop of vanilla ice cream with caramel drizzle, a scoop of green tea ice cream, caramel jelly cubes (they were AWESOME), raisins, those biscuit sticks (I don't know the name), and not shown (because they were beside the ice cream) were small mango flavoured and "plain" flavoured sweet glutinous rice balls (known as "tong yuen" in Cantonese). Very yummy!


Practicing my motion shots. But it took them this way just to show the sheer volume of people Shanghai's subway station deals with. This is at People's Square station, Shanghai's busiest subway station (because it is so central and a transfer point for 3 main lines). Efficiency is a obviously a must...easily surpasses the TTC in every aspect.


The most convenient subway station closest to my school (about a 15 minute walk), Hongkou Football Stadium (which is itself shown in the picture), where the Shanghai football team plays (which suck, according to my Shanghai friend).

No comments:

Post a Comment