Saturday, March 6, 2010

Hong Kong: Part IV

I was back in Hong Kong - greeted by the thick humidity as I stepped out from the airport. The dark grey clouds, a huge contrast to the bright day I had just had in Auckland, really made me realize I had left NZ behind for good (or at least for a good while).

First day in HK, view from my grandma's apartment.

Like my previous stays in HK, it was more of a chance for me to spend time with family I don't get to see very often, especially my grandma. Instead staying for about a week like I had in the past, I was going to be spending almost 2 weeks this time, since it'd be my last visit to HK for a long while (hey, flights ain't cheap right?). Since I had visited pretty much all the places I had in mind the last few visits, and I didn't have anything to buy again (not like I could afford it at this point haha), I just relaxed and experienced how daily life went in HK.

An interesting thing I did get to see was the annual Cathay Pacific Hong Kong International Races at Sha Tin Racecourse (which is actually on the Kowloon side) - the most prestigious horse races in HK and one of the top horse race events on the international level - all thanks to my Uncle Kevin. I didn't really realize how huge of an event it was until I got to the racecourse and saw the huge crowds! Unfortunately, I didn't come out winning any money, but it was awesome just to be at something like this.

Before the races started, when me and my uncle grabbed a quick lunch at one of the restaurants (the racecourse is huge).


The crowds are packed in now.


Off they go!


At the paddock (which I've never seen before) - everyone down there has money...and lots of it (ie. the owners and their friends and family).


Presentation of the Hong Kong Vase to the winner (1 of 4 trophy races).


125th anniversary...that's a lot of horse racing.


Watching some warm-ups (1st photo) and then the presentation of the Hong Kong Cup at the paddock (the screens are so big and nice, you get a better view of the presentation ceremonies on the screens than watching it live).


The closing ceremonies. It went longer than I expected, and a long fireworks show. The big screen on the race track is supposedly one of the biggest in the world (at least that's what I was told).


That night, my uncle took me out to dinner at the Happy Valley Racecourse, where my aunt and cousin joined us too (last photo). Of course, with Christmas nearing, the decorations were out in full force. I'm impressed I could get such steady shots with my compact camera.


Spending some times out in the Causeway Bay area later on that night...so many signs! And of course, the Christmas decorations were out in full force here too.


The free hat they handed out at the racecourse to mark the occasion - what a unique souvenir!

Of course, HK has some region-specific foods, and I'm always up for trying them out hahaha.

Double quarter pounder...wow (let's just say I ate one, and only one haha). If it's 2 quarter pounder patties, shouldn't it be called a half pounder?


Caramel latte Twix - maybe they have them here too, but it was the first time I ever saw it so I thought I'd give it a try.

Of course, like in any other country that celebrates Christmas, the decorations were everywhere in the shopping malls, and HK was no exception (with some very elaborate and unique ones I might add).

A look at some of the unique Christmas decorations I was referring to (I actually just stumbled upon this accidentally when I randomly wandered into one of the many malls...I don't even remember which mall haha). There were even displays for the World Cup set up next to the Christmas decorations which I found to be completely random haha. I know, the photos aren't the sharpest - I wasn't expecting to see anything like this so I had only my phone's camera on me.


Even the buildings were lit up my Christmas decorations (taken outside my grandma's apartment with my phone)!


Watching some people play with their remote-controlled boats in Victoria Park during a walk I took with my grandma. Again, I wasn't expecting to see this, so I only had my phone's camera to take photos (thus explaining the blurry photos). My grandma told me me this is quite common to see in the park, as many adult hobbyists enjoy building and testing their boats. There were a couple people actually racing one another just to see who had the fastest boat (they weren't racing to determine a winner).

One funny thing I noticed this time in HK was how the people dressed - it was now the "winter" months, and the temperature had dropped (which were a very obvious contrast to the weather I had experienced during my earlier visits). But it was still warmer than the average temperature during our fall season here, so whenever I went out, I'd usually be the only one walking around outside in a t-shirt, with everyone else staring at me like I was crazy hahaha. Honestly, it was a hilarious sight: most people were wearing these big puffy or thick winter coats, the ones you only see here when the temperature drops below 0, and it was only in the mid-teens (at the lowest)! They don't know what it feels like to really be cold hahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment